Budget: $30 for printing and $10 for a skate deck.
Total for execution: 11-15 hours
Total for project (including research): approx 31-35
This design was very simple so I didn’t have to invest too much time in actually creating it. The bulk of my time was spent researching art styles and developing a design concept (estimate: 20 hours).
The execution breaks down as: 1 hour vector tracing; 1 hour creating palette in Illustrator (from Andy Warhol ad, below); 1-2 hours developing colour scheme from palette; 30 min editing and placing the texture element (and another 15-30 min redoing this after bringing the file down to 72 dpi, just in case this might help the file save faster…although it’s vector so presumably dpi doesn’t apply); approx 4-6 hours creating different versions of the deck (repositioning elements, etc).
I had to spend some extra time trouble shooting a glitch in the software (or in the way I was using it, as the case may be). When I tried to copy in the oval logo from Photoshop, Illustrator kept creating a rectangular white background around the logo; this wasn’t a problem when I placed the logo, but one of the specs for the assignment was that there couldn’t be any linked files, since this might mess up the printing. Solving that took me a few hours as well, we’ll say 3-4 — my version of the program seems to have the eraser locked at a size of about 50 pixels, which was much too big for me to clean up the logo with any degree of precision. Eventually Illustrator accepted my PNG file without creating the white bounding box/background – I’ll have to experiment again and find out what I did differently that made it work.
Working Files: Illustrator
To create the vector hairspray can, I used a technique that we’ve been working with in my DMA101 class – that is, tracing large background shapes and placing smaller shapes on top. This creates much cleaner lines than trying to get two separate lines that you’ve traced to lie flush.
During the project, I tried out several designs for the text and logo (above). At one point I used a raster file of a stylized “Andy Warhol” signature. In the latest versions I added the name of my design brand and enlarged my logo (final version is on the right). A scan of a cafeteria napkin ended up being the texture overlay on the design (below).
Sketches and Notes
Research: Source Images
In the end I took my inspiration from Andy Warhol and used this image (left) to create my colour palette. I traced the photograph below in Illustrator to create my hairspray skate deck design for the movie “Hairspray”.
Research: 50s and 60s Advertising
Ads I looked at when researching styles I liked – and messages I didn’t want to emulate:
Research: Skatedeck Designs
Getting a feel for the market: http://www.skateboardermag.com.